Formentera monuments

July 6, 2012 by · Leave a Comment 

Church of Sant Francesc Xavier

 

The appearance of this church is sober and the thickness of its walls is a reminder of its function as a fortress against invaders. The church was finished in 1738 and it stands in the capital of the island opposite the town hall.

 

San Francisco Xavier church, Formentera Island

San Francisco Xavier church, Formentera Island

Sa Tanca Vella

 

Built in the second half of the 14th century and dedicated to San Valero, this chapel is small and covered by a barrel vault. It stands in the town of San Francesc Xavier and has been municipal property since 1986.

 

Cap de Barberia Megalithic Settlement

 

The Cap de Barberia remains prove that the island was inhabited since the year 2,000 BC. They consist of 3 different sites that have provided important finds like pottery, bones and a piece of bronze.

 

Can Blai Roman Castellum

 

It has a rectangular floor plan with towers at the corners and at the access gate – five in all. It stands at km 10 of the road between La Savina and La Mola and on a high site, showing its inhabitants’ interest in controlling the whole coast.

 

La Mola Molí Vel

 

This windmill dates from 1778 and nowadays not Orly preserves its original appearance but also its purpose, as its machinery works just as it did centuries ago.

 

Cana Costa Megalithic Site

 

This dates from between 2000 and 1600 BC. It is an important site showing human presence on the island at a very early period. It is well constructed and consists of a burial chamber, an access passage and an exterior structure of concentric forts.

About Spain vacations

Comments are closed.